Saturday 30 June 2007
Saturday June 30 2007
Pro-choice campaigners staged a rally in Dublin's city centre today calling for a range of reproductive rights for women, including abortion.
Over 120 thousand Irish women have travelled to the UK to terminate their pregancies since 1990.
A recent M-R-B-I poll found that more than half of people aged between 18 and 25 are favour of abortion on request.
"The rally today is about calling for all sorts of reproductive rights - mainly for the right of women to access abortion services in Ireland," said Sinead Ahern of Choice Ireland.
Thursday 28 June 2007
Thursday 28th June 2007
Pro-choice groups have called on the Government to legislate for abortion in Ireland in response to the large number of women who travel abroad to terminate their pregnancies.
Last year 5,042 women gave Irish addresses at abortion clinics in Britain, according to the UK's department of health.
In order to highlight those numbers, Choice Ireland yesterday displayed 20 suitcases and rucksacks outside Leinster House to signify the 20 women who leave Ireland each day for an abortion.
Sinead Ahearn, a spokeswoman for Choice Ireland, said the real numbers of women travelling abroad were much greater as official figures do not include those travelling to other countries such as the Netherlands, Belgium and the US to terminate their pregnancies.
She pointed to a recent TNS/ mrbi poll, commissioned by the Irish Family Planning Agency, which indicated significant support for abortion in Ireland in certain circumstances. It found 43 per cent of people supported abortion if it was in a woman's "best interests", but the majority (51 per cent) remained opposed to it in this country.
Choice Ireland will hold a rally on Saturday at the Central Bank Plaza at 2pm as part of its ongoing campaign for abortion rights.
Wednesday 20 June 2007
Confirmed Speakers include Sen. David Norris and Ivana Bacik.
Please pass on these details to anyone you think might come along.
Hope to see you there!
What do we want?
- Free Access to Accurate Information on All Crisis Pregnancy Options
- Legislation Regulating Information Provided by Crisis-Pregnancy Centres
- Immediate Legislation for the X and C Cases
- Proper Sex-Education
- Free Access to Multiple Forms of Contraception Including the Morning-After Pill
- Free and Legal Abortion on Demand
- High-Quality Post-Abortion Care
- End to Stigma Surrounding Abortion
- Practical Support for Women Seeking Abortion
- End to Stigma Surrounding Sexual Health and Contraceptive Needs
- Increased Support for Single and Low-Income Parents
- Increased Protection for Working Mothers
- Free Access to Quality Childcare
- End to Stigma Surrounding Single Parenthood
- Choice in the Method of Childbirth
- Creation of More Feminist Health Centres